Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos

I've been desperate to find new, easy, and delicious recipes that aren't too expensive and honestly that are very effortless to create due to our hectic schedules and the fact that I was growing tired of all my easy go-to fallback recipes.

The other day I decided to go through all of my pins on Pinterest to attempt to find some inspiration to make something new and exciting with the crockpot. Luckily I found a pin on how to easily make these chicken tacos however as always I modified the recipe to make it more my own and spice it up some. 

I also made prepackaged spanish flavored rice and canned seasoned black beans to go with our tacos.  I know that that was not the best choice due to the high sodium levels but when you are recovering from eye surgery trust me when I tell you that you won't give two craps about eating processed high sodium foods.  You'll put on the table whatever can be made the quickest.  

Below is what I did. It is super easy and the results are fantastic.

 Ps - you don't have to over do it with the cilantro lime sauce like I did.  I'm just obsessed with it because its so good so I seriously put it on everything on my plate.  Oh, and the leftovers are also great on salad for lunch the next day.

Ingredients:
1 lb of frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
1 packet of hot/spicy low sodium taco seasoning
The juice of 2 fresh limes or 1/4 cup bottled of lime juice
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup of water
Crushed Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Directions:
Put all ingredients in the crockpot. 
Stir and cook on high for four hours or on low for eight hours. 
If you are able to,  stir it at least once halfway through. 
When done the chicken should shred easily.  
You will have to use a fork to shred the chicken and stir in the excess liquid for flavor.
Serve hot with hard or soft shell taco shells and all your *usual fixin's. 
You could also put on top of tortilla chips to make nachos if you desire.

*Instead of using sour cream we made a Cilantro Lime Dressing to go on top. 

See below for that recipe. 

1 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (store brand is fine)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
 1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Honey or sugar to taste (optional)

Directions: 
Puree all ingredients food processor until smooth.  We have a Ninja so that is what I used.  Use of a Vitamix or regular blender would be ok too. 
Taste and adjust flavor as necessary - I say this because the plain greek yogurt gives it a tart/tangy taste when coupled with the lime juice so you may want to add some honey or sugar to alleviate that if that is an issue for you.
 That's it.  A very simple, no work dinner that was something new and a keeper for the recipe lists

Hope you try it out and don't be afraid to experiment and enjoy!   

I may or may not get around to posting about the eye surgery.  We shall see.

XOXO
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment