Monday, June 17, 2013

A Letter To Myself

I read a blog the other day where they wrote a letter to themselves...ie A Letter To My 21 Year Old Self or something along those lines.  I thought this was a great idea and have been toying with the idea of posting mine for everyone to read.

So here it goes...

Dear Jessica,

I know you think you have everything all figured out right now and that you literally know EVERYTHING.  But trust me when I tell you that quite honestly, you are an idiot.  For real.  You don't know squat.  I know you think your life is so hard right now working full time and going to school full time but one day you will look back on where you are right this very minute and laugh at what a blast this time in your life is, and you will want to smack yourself for not enjoying it more.

You will get your heart broken this year even though I know you don't believe that. You will think your life will never be the same but deep down you know that he is not "the one".  I know you don't want to admit that but it is so very true.  The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be.  All the dumb stuff you do after that experience is laughable now but trust me when I tell you that it is T-Totally-Stupid.  I'm not going to ruin the fun and highlight the dumb things you are going to do but trust me it's not your finest year.

You will then be able to love again only to be hurt again.  Only what you don't know is that what you are feeling really isn't love.  You have no freaking clue what love really is.  You have never experienced it.  But you will one day.  And when you do, you'll be blown away.  I won't tell you when though because I don't want to ruin the surprise but it will be absolutely AMAZING.  It won't be as lame and tear jerking as the movie The Notebook in which for a full year you will be absolutely obsessed with watching.  Seriously.  Burn that dvd already.  And by burn I mean literally light it on fire.

Just so you know that year and half of your life was not in vain, you will meet life long best friends during this process.  They will be there for you through the heartbreak, and through the crazy mess you get yourself in to over the next couple of years, and for years to come.  That very reason right now makes this time in your life totally worth while.

Also, even though you can't see it right now, your hard work and dedication in school and in the early stages of your career are monumental in getting you to where you will need to be in the future.  If you only could see yourself at thirty you would be amazed.  And by the way, thirty is so not OLD.  I know you think it is but believe me when I tell you that life really doesn't even fully begin until you reach the big 3-0.  So with that being said, keep rockin' it in school and working hard at your internship you get this year which will lead to your first full-time position in your industry.

I will leave you with these words, and I want you to listen to them closely....Believe me when I tell you that you truly are an amazing, talented, smart and wise beyond your years woman at the age of 21.  But at the same time you don't know $hit.  Accept each mistake you make and learn from those mistakes.  You are going to make tons of mistakes.  It's ok it's normal.  You don't have to be perfect all the time.  You really should stop spending time worrying about what others think about you.  Stop trying to please everyone and be true to yourself.  The sooner you do this the happier you will become.  Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.  Dr. Seuss is a freaking genius too by the way.  The older you get the more often you will find yourself quoting him.

Oh and one more thing, enjoy that free music you are downloading now because one day soon downloading music for free on the internet will be a major no-no.  Limewire & Napster will be things of the past soon.  I know you don't believe me but haven't you already figured out I'm way smarter than you are right now?

Love,

Your Future Amazing Self

No comments:

Post a Comment