Sunday, March 10, 2013

Epic Kitchen Failures & Other Stuff

I'm on a roll today.  I've had two epic kitchen failures today and both were due to my negligence rather than my incompetence.

Epic failure #1 - Pintos

I decided to be proactive today with the menu planning and cooked pinto beans ahead of time although we aren't having them until tomorrow for dinner...well maybe?  Well, probably not, I'm not sure.

Here they were when they looked normal and incredibly delicious.  I was so proud I just knew I was going to blog about them.  So of course I whipped out that iPhone to snap a pic.


I was busy playing around with the settings of my blog template and background today so I sat in the living room and went in the kitchen to check on them every so often.  All was going well for the first hour and I was even excited about eating them for dinner tomorrow night.  Then after they were cooked I decided to let them cool on the stove and then I would pack them away for tomorrow.  Only when I came back they were mushy and very thick.  Love Muffin is still trying to withhold the urge to laugh at me hysterically.  

Everyone knows the best part about a bowl of pintos is the juice that you get to dip your cornbread in to.  I reluctantly packaged them up and will see how I feel about them tomorrow.  I can assure you they were seasoned very well.  No need for additional salt or red pepper or anything.  But I would still classify this as an Epic Failure. The delicious bowl of pintos I had planned for tomorrow night turned in to refried beans instead.  So maybe this wasn't a totally epic failure.  Maybe I was very successful at making my own version of refried beans.  Go me.  Mexican night anyone?

Epic Failure #2 - Eggplant

I've had an eggplant in the fridge all week that I needed to cook.  Tonight I decided to finally get it out, cube it, add some extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes and sautee it on the stove like I'm the next Emeril or something.  I'm getting rather ballsy in the kitchen all of the sudden.  Possibly due to Love Muffin being a Chef and all.  Since I'm competitive, don't ever think I'm wrong about anything, and think I'm so awesome that I can outcook a professional chef I decided to make it without asking his opinion on the matter.  Then enters Epic Failure #2 for today.

I don't measure anything so I just kind of wing it when I'm in the kitchen.  This was one of those things where I was talking and not paying attention to how much red pepper flakes came out and well if my addicted to all things spicy and hot sauce loving Love Muffin couldn't even eat it, then I can assure you it was rather inedible. In an attempt to make me feel better he did reassure me that eggplant is a hard vegetable to prepare well unless you are making Eggplant Parmesan.  It's pretty hard to mess that up.   

Epic Feat #1 - Pinterest Recipe for Spaghetti Squash Casserole

It seemed easy enough.  The pretty pictures were enticing.  The limited amount of ingredients needed, and ingredients in which I was actually familiar with, as well as the fact that I just had to use that leftover spaghetti squash from last weekend meant this had to be a success.  It wasn't bad.  But it wasn't the best either.  It might have something to do with the fact that I'm still getting used to spaghetti squash in the first place.  What throws me off is that it has a rather sweet flavor to it.  I don't like salty and sweet mixed together so I guess t I'm not sure if I want to classify this one as a failure or feat really.  The recipe makes a lot so now I have all these leftovers in the fridge that will stay there until they absolutely become inedible and need to be thrown out.  Is now a good time to mention I don't like leftovers either?  Also, even though I followed the recipe exactly it turned out rather watery.  I'm wondering if it's one of those things that really will be better on the second day?

I should have taken a pic of this but I didn't.  I don't think I will be making it again because I wasn't that impressed with it. 

So to sum up my day...I made a mess in the kitchen and have decided that the only thing I like spaghetti squash for is as a substitute for pasta for spaghetti nights.  I'm not an Iron Chef, or Top Chef, and I should leave the creative cooking to Love Muffin (a professional!).

I'm sure next week however I'll find some other crazy recipe on Pinterest I want to try and I'll be back at it again. 


So it's at this point I must ask...what else can you use spaghetti squash for?  Any recipes anyone wants to share that call for eggplant or spaghetti squash ingredients? 

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Farris Bueller?

And now on to Other Stuff...

I am one of those people that absolutely loves The Hangover and can quote the entire movie and have both Parts 1 and 2 on bluray.  I was so excited to see the trailer to Part 3 which starts Memorial Day weekend and have decided to share it with you below.  I'll be there opening night to see it.  I can't wait!





Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment