Sunday, March 24, 2013

Kitchen Sunday - Mushroom Soup


Today I did my weekly shopping for meals...I also menu planned as well first thing this morning.  I unfortunately am still not 100% better yet so I think that influenced my menu planning for this week.  I had planned to try something new in the kitchen today by making spinach & feta stuff mushrooms.  However I quite honestly did not feel like using that much energy to do anything in the kitchen today.  I was doing good to be able to even get a shower and put on clothes today let alone try to be Julia Child in the kitchen.

I was then faced with the conundrum of what to do with all these fresh mushrooms I had in the fridge.  I didn't want to waste them and wanted to use what I had the best I could rather than go out and get any more items.  So I looked to Pinterest for inspiration and came up with the best plan ever...it's cold and rainy today so why not make Mushroom Soup!  I've totally never made that before but there's a first time for everything.

Below is my recipe but you can do this any way you want to.  I didn't really follow any one specific recipe I found on there because I couldn't find one that I liked so I kind of just went off on my own here...

What you'll need:
(Not all items are pictured obviously)

 
Fresh mushrooms (2 lbs) 
1 medium/large yellow onion
1 pint of heavy cream
all purpose flour (4 tablespoons)
water (4 tablespoons)
Worcestershire Sauce (amount will vary)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
*Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Stock (3 cups)
2 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons of Marsala cooking wine

*This is your choice, I went with an organic veggie stock because Matt and I have not been eating as much meat.  Not sure how long that will last but we've stuck to it for the most part for a week now and counting.  He is doing much better than me with this.  I'm having a hard time giving up chicken and fish.

How to do it:

Chop your mushrooms in small pieces & also dice your onion


add butter, minced garlic, marsala cooking wine, fresh mushrooms and diced onion to your pot and sautee on medium high heat for 10-15 minutes until all moisture is evaporated.


Once all moisture is evaporated turn down to medium heat stirring frequently then add 4 tablespoons of water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream, 4 tablespoons of flour, 3 cups of veggie/chicken/beef stock and salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil stirring frequently to make sure all ingredients blend well together.  Simmer on medium-low for 10-15 minutes and serve hot.

This part is where you expirament with the ingredients to get it to the taste & consistency that works for you.  I added a little more salt and pepper but for the most part it was delicious when done.

See, doesn't this look amazing!

I am planning to serve this soup for dinner tonight with a skinny grilled cheese sandwich (as skinny as you can get it).

This will include low fat mayo with olive oil and these Arnold Sandwich Thins for bread which are only 3 WW points per serving and 100 calories.  I couldn't find any sliced fat free cheese so I bought a Monterrey Cheddar blend sliced cheese and hopefully it is good.  I will have to report back after dinner tonight...


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment