Monday, March 25, 2013

Vegetarian Hippies?

Ok so Love Muffin and I have been making a lot of changes in our lives, especially in the kitchen.  One of the new things we are trying (and I say "we" but I really mean Matt and me kind of trying) is eating a vegetarian diet.  I won't bore you with WHY we are trying it.

Google it.  I'll wait...

yeah, just kidding no I won't. 

Google it on your own time. 

But there are a number of benefits to it we feel like and I'm not here to persuade anyone to join this Vegetarian Hippie bandwagon we are on at the moment either.  Also, I am not joining or starting a cult.  I will continue to shave my legs and shower too.  For those wondering.  You know who you are.

Anyway, since I'm kind of lazy and don't commit to things too much, I'd classify us as Lazy Quasi Vegetarians, very much similar to my classification of couponer if you will.  

Sidenote: Don't judge, I get bored easily is all!  But I love change and most importantly, change is good!  So I'm up for the challenge.

Back to my point...oh yeah, Lazy Quasi Vegetarians...what do I mean by that?  That is a great question.  I shall enlighten you...

I may be new to this whole vegetarian thing but all the vegetarians I know are like hard core vegetarians. I mean they don't eat ANY meat, (beef, chicken, fish, deer, bison, nada!) and they also don't eat dairy products at all.  Apparently though there are many classifications of vegetarians.  Some eat chicken and fish but no red meat.  Some eat no meat at all but still eat dairy.  Some are balls to the walls and eat neither dairy nor meat of any kind.  I mean my head is swimming with all the combinations of vegetarianism there are. 

So with that I've decided that I am going to really give this a try but that I'm just not ready to give up chicken and fish yet.  I mean it just seems like I'm doing a disservice to grilled hormone free chicken breasts and farm raised salmon everywhere by not enjoying their deliciousness anymore.  Also I'm not going to lie, I may have had a moment of silence for my addiction to rare filet mignon.  Good thing I went out like a rock star and had my last rare filet at Ruth Chris a couple of weeks ago...mouth is currently watering just thinking about it.

Anyways so my classification of vegetarianism basically includes limited amounts of chicken and fish, and some dairy (cheese/eggs/some milk products).  Although I was already not drinking regular milk anymore anyway and had switched to Almond & Coconut Milk months ago.

Basically this means that I'm a total Lazy Quasi Vegetarian!  Love Muffin is much more dedicated and finding this a lot easier than I am too by the way.

So now that we have ventured down this new path I've continued to branch out in the kitchen (um when have you ever known me to make homemade mushroom soup).  I will admit that I'm running out of meals for meal planning already because I'm so new to this and recipes that require too many ingredients stress me out.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

So I will share with you this weeks menu plan:

Sunday: Mushroom Soup
Monday: Southwest Chopped Salad
Tuesday: Spinach Quesadillas with brown rice and avocado slices
Wednesday: OUT (to Mom & Dad's for dinner)
Thursday: TBD - Matt's night to bring or make us dinner
Friday: OUT (I usually grab a salad or something on the way home since Matt works late on Fridays)
Saturday: Vegetarian Chilli (still need a good recipe though)

You may be asking yourself, why the heck do we care about your diet and menu planning?  Well I guess I'm so egotistical that I think I'm more relevant and important than I really am so I thought everyone would care.  Hello, I'm freakin' awesome so why wouldn't everyone want to know about our life?

No seriously though, the purpose of this blog is to find out if any of you have ever tried the vegetarian life style?  What were it's positives?  What was the hardest for you to give up?  It is also my attempt at begging for recipes.  Like does anyone know of a good recipe for vegetarian chilli that is really good?  Do you think we are total nut jobs for trying to go vegetarian? 

Be nice.  Limit the dirty hippie jokes if you will.  :-)

Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment